Monday, August 15, 2011

The Case of the Big Ass Eggplant

My girls spent a weekend in Boston and discovered Haymarket Open Air Vendor's Market.  This is where vendors sell ripe produce for cheap prices.  It is known to locals as a supermarket surplus for produce, where you have to be selective, but you can get great produce at low prices.  The girls were thrilled and came back with fresh berries and fruit.

 Then they saw this sign and couldn't resist!  Ashley brought me back one of the largest eggplants I have ever seen!  Big-Ass was correct!  It was also beautiful, unblemished and brilliant in color.  Do my girls know how to select produce or what?
 Now, I know the common belief that the larger the eggplant, the more bitter.  But, I was not deterred.  I was so appreciative of their gift that I made them both their favorite meal -- eggplant parmigiana.
I sliced up the big-ass eggplant into many slices, then floured, egged and breaded each piece.
 Lastly, I sauteed the pieces in canola oil.  I made a batch of tomato sauce and Voila! I turned a Big-Ass Eggplant into some Bad-Ass Eggplant Parmigiana!

No comments: