Monday, August 01, 2011

My Artwork...not Drawings this Time!

For the past three weeks, I have put away the drawing supplies and pulled out the painting supplies.
I love to draw, but sometimes, I get a yearning to paint.  I did these using acrylic paints.  Acrylic paints have qualities all their own, just like oil paints and watercolors.  Each medium has it's own characteristics and respond well to different techniques.
I love the vibrant colors that acrylic offers and the quick dry time.  The quick dry time makes it easy to layer colors quickly, rather than waiting for days for each layer to dry.  Acrylic paints are highly pigmented and blend beautifully. They can be thinned with water or medium or gloss.  You can also add modeling compound to acrylic paint to get a texture and weight.  So, there are countless possibilities.  Each time I paint, I learn something unexpected about the process.  It is very exciting, even my failures.
Oh and acrylic paint is very forgiving.  So, any mistakes, can be painted over once dry!  
 Here are "Fishies".  I love the background colors and the flow.
 Here, I used similar colors for the background.  But, the earth tones of the turtle really pop next to the beautiful blues of the background. I really love the color of the shell, it looks textured, even though it is not!
 Here is a painting of the Towers. It is my first attempt at mixing modeling compound into paint to give texture.  It was a great learning experience.
This painting was fun to do... Just a combination of colors, shapes and shells!

1 comment:

SOFIA said...

Fabulous! I love the fish family, the turtle shell, and the fun shells! Great great work!