Saturday, August 13, 2011

Smoothies! Peach Smoothie Recipe

Smoothies are a popular chilled blended beverage that has been marketed for its health value. Typically, smoothies are blended fruit with ice, but also includes the addition of ice cream, yogurt, tea, whey, protein powder, sweetener, chocolate or peanut butter.
Smoothies actually have an interesting history! 
Smoothies were widely available in the US in the 1960's marketed by ice cream vendors and health food stores.  But, west coast health food stores sold smoothies in the 1930's using original recipes from Brazil.
Waring Blender Company took the idea and published cookbooks with recipes for smoothies, of course, using their blender!
In the 1960's smoothies were made from fruit, juice and ice.  In the 1970's milk was added to create a fruit shake. In the 1980's the fitness craze added supplements to drinks making them "healthier" and geared towards athletes.
In the 1990's smoothie companies added frozen yogurt to give smoothies a thick, ice cream like texture.
By 2000 smoothies were a billion dollar industry.
Since there is no clear definition of smoothies, they are now made with everything from ice cream, to soda  and even alcohol for cocktails.
As much as I love milkshakes, I consider smoothies to be so completely different from the dessert, the milkshake.
I prefer to think of smoothies as a healthy snack or breakfast, packed with vitamins, proteins and other goodness.  And, my favorite flavor is peach!
And as you can imagine, I am very picky when it comes to my peach smoothie.
Many people make the mistake of adding orange juice to peach, thinking it is a complementary flavor.  But, I feel that the orange is way too dominant and overtakes the peach flavors.  
I also like the addition of Greek yogurt with the peach, I think the dairy brings out a smooth taste with the peach.  If the peaches aren't sweet enough, I add some brown sugar to the blender.  And if the peaches are overly sweet, I add some lemon or lime juice.
I also peel and freeze the peaches ahead of time and use this in the blender.  This reduces the amount of ice I need to use and doesn't dilute the smoothie.

Peach Smoothie
1/4 - 1/3 glass of crushed ice
2 - 3 sliced peaches, frozen
1/4 - 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
1/2 cup skim milk or water or juice
lemon juice or brown sugar to taste

Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth, but frothy.  Pour into a glass and drink slowly.  Enjoy.


No comments: