Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Tennis - Ladies Team

We have been avid tennis players for years now.  We even planned a special place to store our tennis bags when we did our big renovations a few years ago.  In the summers, Jon and I play on community teams in the men's and women's divisions.
This summer has been extremely hectic for us, but we still managed to play team tennis.
I belong to a wonderful women's team that seems to get better each year.  The players are supportive and all dedicated.  It makes for fun weekly practices and fun pairings.  And I get to play with my friend Natasha, which I love.
This season has been a mixture of ups and downs for me.  Competition brings out different things in different people, some good and some not so good.  This makes for an odd mix of experiences on the court.  In short, when it is fun it can be very fun, but when it is bad, it is AWFUL.  I had a few experiences this year that were awful and so I was looking forward to the end of the season.
Even so, I was looking forward to tonight's match.  I was scheduled to play with Natasha AND tonight's match was the quarterfinals.  So, the winning team from tonight would go on to play next Wednesday.

We started our match and even though I felt strong going into the match, I wasn't playing as well as I would have liked.  But, it didn't matter, because my partner was on fire.  She played so well, that I joked with her that I would just hang back try not to bother her!
Over the course of the match, I managed to pick up my game and we both started working together.  We won the match and afterwards we discussed what happened.  We had fun together and worked through any problems that came up.
This was an example of good tennis!
Our team won on all three courts and we therefore we advance to the semi-finals next week.  Keep your fingers crossed for us!

Oh, and Jon's team automatically advanced to the semi-finals.  They play next week.

No comments: