Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Running like the Wind...

I've started running again.  This is a big deal for me because I never really liked running.  I liked sprinting in high school, but sprinting was different.  Sprinting was short bursts, running as fast as you can for set distances. It was competitive and fun.  I trained for sprinting by doing lots of sprints.  So, practices added up to lots of distance, but it wasn't setting a pace and keeping the pace for 1- 2 miles.
But, there are few places for a older woman to sprint without looking like they are running for their lives.
Jon loves to run.  He has been doing it on and off for years.  My sister, Veronica used to run regularly and fast!  But, I never enjoyed running.  My speed fluctuates as I tend to sprint and then I am exhausted, so I walk.  When I do this, I feel like a running failure.
But, about 3 weeks ago, I started running 2-3 times a week.  I started off with what I now know as "interval training".  This is a legitimate practice where you alternate running and walking.  The goal is to gradually decrease your walking intervals and increase your running intervals.
I started running by plotting my routes.  I found three - Circle Loop, Colby Loop and Holton Loop.  The shortest loop is 1.1 miles.
The first week, I made improvements. I started out doing the Circle Loop, by running and then walking about 5 times.  Then, the second week, I only stopped to walk 2 times!  Last week, I actually ran the entire Colby Loop without stopping!  And now I am venturing into adding hills into my loop.

I like to run outdoors and I don't mind running in the rain.  At least not yet.  But, I know that there isn't much time left to run outside either.  I admit that I have a much harder time running on a treadmill.  I think it is easier on my body, but harder on my mind!
When I do my best running, I am not thinking about anything at all.  In fact, my mind is clear.  Unfortunately, I can't do this as often as I would like.  It takes concentration and a clear head.  And it is very rare that I have both at the same time.

1 comment:

SOFIA said...

great!