I let the painting dry overnight. (Even though acrylic paints dry quickly, I was still worried that our cats might walk along our new floor ornament. Actually, they were very respectful of the painting.) The canvases are so tall that I was worried that if I stood them up, they might fall and smudge. So, I left the down on the floor.
The paint was all dry in the morning. But, I noticed that there was a lot of shrinkage. This is in part to my error of not using enough paint and partly because I used a student-grade paint. The student grade paint has a high water content and when it dries, it shrinks. So, I went over the canvas again so that there was no canvas exposed. I don't think you can tell from the above photo, but the sky is blue, the sea is turquoise and the "sand" is colored off-white. In the picture the "sand" looks bare, but trust me, there is paint there.
I then painted the posts. This was very fun and rewarding for me.
Here are the posts on Panel A.
Here is the post from Panel B
Panel B & Panel C. The largest post carries over from panel B & C. This was a bit tricky to paint it so the post looked like it was one post, just separated, as if a photo was sliced through the post. I really liked the way the posts came out. I used lots of browns, grays, blacks, whites, deep yellows and oranges. I tried to give the posts an aged look - from then sun and water.
After I was pleased with the posts, I started to add rocks to the shoreline. I tried to make the rocks look weathered and treacherous.
Stay tuned for more...