Friday, October 28, 2011

Sweet Potatoes and Tomatoes - A Match Made in Heaven


Last night I had the most delicious dinner.  Partially because I was hungry from a long day of removing wallpaper, but also because I had the most delicious roasted vegetables!  The meal was so simple and easy that I didn't bother to take a picture!  I regretted it as soon as I took my first bite, but was too tired to get the camera...
I simply pricked a fork into a fresh sweet potato and baked it on a piece of parchment at 350 until it was soft... I think I left it in for over an hour - but I lost track of time.  I found some beautiful tomatoes at the market that were mid size -- larger than grape tomatoes, but smaller than "typical" - they were only slightly larger than golf balls.  I washed them and sliced them in half and then placed them on the same parchment that I used for the sweet potato.  I sprinkled salt and pepper on the tomatoes and baked them for the final 30 minutes along with the sweet potato.
I drizzled some olive oil on the tomatoes when I plated the food.  When I used my fork to cut into the tomatoes, they melted and oozed like a soft cooked egg.  I was left with a messy tomato, but an ultra concentrated tomato sauce.  It was so flavorful.  
I dug right into my sweet potato and dipped it into the luscious sauce.  Oh -- heavenly taste.  I ate the sweet potatoe-tomato dish savoring each bite, wishing I had more!
So today, back to the grocery store I go!
What a delicious combination

1 large Sweet Potato
8 oz (or more) of tomatoes, any size

Preheat oven to 350.  Wash sweet potato and prick it with a fork or the end of a knife.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes on a sheet lined with parchment, for easy clean up. (You can speed this step along, by cooking it in the microwave for 4-5 minutes to tenderize it.  Then, finish it in the oven with the tomatoes.)  Meanwhile, prepare the tomato by either slicing a large tomato into 1" thick slices or slice medium tomatoes in half or just keep grape tomatoes as it. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in oven alongside sweet potato for 30 minutes or so.  Drizzle olive oil before serving.  
Enjoy!

Modifications - add chopped garlic to the tomatoes during the last 5 min of cooking or roast whole cloves along side the tomatoes.  Add chopped fresh herbs as well....
Enjoy the fall bounty!

No comments: