Sunday, December 18, 2011

Advent Journal Day 19 - December 19, 2011

Here is another Journal Prompt about reminiscing about Christmas past.  We know that we all change, but through the years our maturity affects how we view Christmas.  We all hope that we learn and grow as we mature, but it is when we look back at how we viewed things, versus how we view them today, that we notice that change.  Christmas comes every year, but we are not the same person that we were 10 years ago, or even three years ago.  We all change but does our perception of Christmas also change?
 Day 19 Advent Journal 12.19.11
What about Christmas is important to me now, as compared to what used to be important to me?
My journal entry states:
I remember reading quip somewhere about the Four Stages 
of Santa Claus
1. You believe in Santa. 
2. You don’t believe in Santa.
3. You become Santa 
4. You look like Santa.
This is a great metaphor for how I feel about Christmas through the years.  I remember the excitement of Christmas, thinking that a reward for being “good” would be under the tree!  I remember the disappointment when I learned the “truth”.  That disappointment was replaced with joy at being able to make Veronica’s Christmas fun, while taking on the Santa role.  I was lucky to extend this when my girls were growing up. I am approaching the fourth stage - but that is a different matter.
The idea of “Christmas” changed for me when I learned that it truly is better to give than to receive.  I am blessed that I can have loved ones who I share the holidays. I love to see their excitement, surprise and antics! 


No comments: