Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Recipes: Carrot & Dried Cranberry Salad

When I was in high school, my fried Melissa and I would eat lunch together.  Everyday, she would get carrot salad on her lunch tray.  She loved it.  It was orange carrots covered in mayonnaise with raisins in it. She couldn't wait until lunch came around. I thought it was disgusting.  Mayonnaise and carrots?  Through the years, I have come to learn that it is quite a favorite salad of many people and quite popular in deli cases.
I like the idea of a shredded carrot salad, but the thought of ruining the healthiness with mayonnaise is just too much for me.  I created a salad that replaces the raisins with the ever popular dried cranberries and replaces the mayonnaise dressing with a vinaigrette.  Much better...

2 cups shredded carrots
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup olive oil
2 T honey
3 T lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 T minced onions or sliced green onions
1 tsp orange flower water (optional - it will give a strong flavor, so use sparingly)
salt & pepper

Combine olive oil, honey, lemon juice, cinnamon and orange flower water, if using it.
Sprinkle with salt, pepper and cinnamon.
Stir in carrots and cranberries.
Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 6 hours.

No comments: