Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Butterfly Project and How to Make Paper Butterflies

The Butterfly Project
Last month I read about the Houston Holocaust Museum and their "Butterfly Project".  In remembrance of the 1,500,000 million children that were killed during the Holocaust, the museum is putting on an exhibition in the spring of 2014 with 1,500,000 butterflies. They have started collecting butterflies and so far have over 900,000.  They are collecting them throughout 2012.
Anyone can make them and send them to the museum.  They have a few guidelines -- like the size (no larger than 8"x10") and no glitter or edible materials that cold rot.  But, they want original and unique butterflies.
On their website they even have lesson plans for teachers so that they can do this activity with their students while teaching them the history of the Holocaust.  I went to the site and immediately wanted to participate.

They ask that if you contribute butterflies that you email them a photo and then send the butterflies along with their forms.  I made a dozen to send.  I used watercolor paper, acrylic paints, inks, book pages and tissue paper that I layered and glued to make stiff.
Since I knew that I wanted to make multiple butterflies, I made a few templates so that I had an easy way to trace the basic shape.  I made one from paper and one from think plastic.  I just sketched a shape, folded the paper in half to trace the mirror image and and cut it out.
And then I just traced the shape onto the papers that I inked.  I cut out the shape.
Then I started painting away.  I used bold colors that were suggestive of real butterflies.
And I added some fun colors that weren't exactly natural!
I loved the way the colors popped against the black outline and added some white for contrast.
On others, I used decorative paper that I stained and stamped.
I sent my photo into the Butterfly Project contact email and packaged up my dozen to ship off to Houston!  I may make some more as I have until December to do so. And I made some smaller butterflies to surprise some of my favorite people and brighten their day.

5 comments:

Winnie said...

This is one of the most beautiful thing I've seen in a long time!!

DannyB said...

Thank you!

Heather Kaluf said...

Ive always wanted to go to that museum. Your butterflies are so gorgeous!
New follower :)
Thanks for sharing at our Sunday Round Up! Can't wait to see what you have for us next weekend. Have a GREAT week!
xoxo
Heather

Rose Jesky said...

They all look great you did a wonderful job on them. Thanks for sharing this @ The Sunday Round Up.
Hope to see you again next week.
Rose
http://www.arosiesweethome.com/

Thrifty Crafty Girl said...

This is too cute! I think my oldest son would love to do a project like this, thanks for posting it!

I just found your blog and I love it! I'm your newest follower!