As we slowly move into spring weather, I am spending more days running outside. On Thursday, I ran my longest distance at once and really enjoyed it. I don't tend to run at home as there are no sidewalks and hills and woods (ticks) everywhere, so I drive into our small town, park my car and go running. Since I was out for a long run, I had a lot of times where I ran past exits of parking lots, across crosswalks and on sidewalks. So many drivers were courteous and kind! I was so appreciative. So I thought I would post a "thank you" to drivers and pedestrians who are so considerate and share the roadways.
- Thank you for yielding to runners in crosswalks. (Yes, it's the state law in NH to yield to pedestrians, but it is still a kind thing to do and not everyone does it.) It protects me from other cars who might not notice me on the other side of the road.
- Thank you stopping your car when leaving parking lots and waving me through. Even though I don't mind waiting for your to pull away from the lot, I do appreciate being able to run without stopping,
- Thank you for slowing down or driving wide when you pass me on back roads.
- Thank you for not swinging open car doors when parked on the road next to the sidewalk where I run. I appreciate not having to hurdle car doors -- even short ones.
- Pedestrians and other runners - Thank you for sharing the sidewalk. This includes families with little kids who wander and people with dogs.