Monday, July 30, 2012

Recipe: Filled Scones

 Filled scones are your basic scone pastry but with a surprise filling inside.  Whereas many people slather on jam or butter (or cream) these scones have the filling baked inside.  I used simple filling of strawberry jam and a few squares of dark chocolate. They were delicious.  I used my favorite scone batter.  Here are a few recipes for scones that I've used. Peach Scones, Ginger Vanilla Scones, Maple Bacon Scones or Pumpkin Ginger Scones.  Use the filling that you like, various flavored jams, chocolate, white chocolate, nutella, peanut butter .The process is as such:
 Make the scone pastry dough and roll thinner than you normally would for scones, I rolled this about 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick.  Cut into rounds and make an indent in each scone, as if you were making thumbprint cookies.  Place a spoonful of jam and a few pieces of chocolate in each indent, but leave enough room to place another scone on top and seal the edges.
Bake in oven on a piece of parchment.  I brushed on some milk on top of each scone.  Bake according to directions.
Here are the baked scones. These are good as is, but I topped them with a powdered sugar icing made with confectioner's sugar, milk and lemon juice.
Enjoy!


No comments: