Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Recipe: Peach Scones

I tried another recipe from my Peach Round Up Post and it is another winner! Peach Cobbler Scones from Joy the Baker is a recipe that makes the house smell heavenly while it bakes.
As usual, I modified the recipe a bit, omitting the shortening, reducing the butter and sugar and using milk instead of buttermilk.
I simply chopped up the peaches, rather then add a layer of slices in between two rows of scone dough.  I think this made it easier to cut into individual scones and it also made it more manageable to eat!

Peach Scones

3 cups flour
3 T sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter
1 egg
3/4 cup milk or cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ripe peach, chopped
cinnamon sugar for sprinkling on top

Preheat oven to 400
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a small bowl, combine milk, vanilla and egg.  Stir until all mixed.  Set aside.
In a large bowl, add flour, sugar, powder, soda and salt.  Cut in butter until the mixture looks like sand. Add the milk mixture and combine until mixture is almost mixed.  If mixture is too dry, add another splash of milk.
Because of the summer heat, I placed the dough on a large piece of parchment and used the paper to knead the dough, but turning the edge (about 1/3 of the dough) over on itself, using the parchment to cradle the dough.  This way, my hands didn't touch the dough and neither did the heat from my hands.  I kneaded this about 8 times. After, the dough was solid, I covered it with another sheet of parchment and rolled the dough between the sheets with a bottle of wine from the fridge.  (I didn't have a rolling pin and the cold wine bottle worked very well.)
I sprinkled chopped peaches onto half the dough and turned the other dough over it.  I gently sealed the edges and then cut it into individual squares.
I sprinkled each scone with cinnamon sugar and then baked for 16 minutes until nice and golden.
These were delicious without any butter or jam!

No comments: