Wednesday, August 15, 2012

NH White Tailed Deer

It is quite common to see white tailed deer in New Hampshire. We are lucky enough to see them around our yard quite frequently.  This week, I came up our driveway and this beauty was waiting for me.
I got out my camera as quickly as I could and started snapping photos.
It was only after a few moments that I realized that she was not alone and had a fawn in the woods!
The next day, these two returned, but the mother was far more brave than her baby.  Even after all these years, I am still taken aback by their beauty and grace.
 In 1983, NH designated the white tailed deer as the state animal.  (But, NH isn't alone - 10 other states have also designated the white tailed deer as their state animal.) They can run at speeds up to 40 mph and swim up to 13 mph. They are known for jumping over 9 foot fences.
The males weigh between 150 and 300 pounds and have antlers.  The females weigh between 90 and 200 pounds.

No comments: