Sunday, August 26, 2012

Recipe: Jello Cookies

Some people love Jello gelatin. I'll admit, the gelatin is beautiful, transparent and unusual.  But, it just wasn't a favorite in our house. Yes, in the past, I have made some recipes with Jello, like stained glass gelatin and poke cake. And, I haven't given up on Jello, it just hasn't been a favorite. I saw a recipe for Jello Cookies on the justhelen blog and I had to try them.
The beauty of the Jello is that it imparts a flavor (orange, raspberry, watermelon, cherry, lemon, etc) that can be hard to recreate in a cookie.  The jello does impart coloring as well, but not as much as you would think.
These cookies have a lovely flavor.  They are sweet, colorful and fun.  I made a double batch to bring to my art group and to my brother's family. There were plenty and we had lots for us too!
I used raspberry jello in one batch and lime jello in another - as I wanted pink and green cookies. But, these would be cute for school bake sales or birthday snacks.
I modified justhelen's recipe a bit and was surprised at how much I liked the result!
Jello Cookies - makes 1 batch of at least 40 cookies
3/4 cup butter at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar + 1/2 cup more in a separate bowl
1 3 oz package of Jello - not sugar free
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 400. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Combine flour, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.
Cream 1/2 cup butter and sugar.  Then add jello and vanilla.
Beat in eggs thoroughly.  Slowly add dry mixture.
Using a 1" ice cream scoop, scoop the dough into balls.  Roll each ball in the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar.
Place on a baking sheet. Repeat, setting each ball 1" apart .
When cookie sheet is full, flatten each cookie by pressing with a flat spatula (or glass).
Bake 7 minutes - just until the edges turn golden brown.
Let cool in cookie sheet 2 min, then move to wire rack to cool thoroughly.


1 comment:

DamianC said...

Theo say they were "great"!
I have to admit they were beautiful, I thought you got them at a bakery!