Sunday, August 19, 2012

Week at a Glance... 8.18.11

During the last few weeks of August, I always remember my grandmother talking about "the last rose of summer".  It is a bittersweet goodbye to the beauty and mild weather and a wake up call for the winter ahead.  Sometimes winter starts as early as late September with frosts and dare I say, snow.  But for now, we still have the warm sun and summer temperatures.
-This week we celebrate Jon's parents 84th birthdays.  We are having a birthday dinner and I made each of them a cake.  Garlic Chicken Nachos, fresh peaches and birthday cakes,.
-The girls have only a couple of weeks left before they head to college.  I am excited for them and wish them the best.  I am also (selfishly) dreading being without them, not seeing them in the mornings and sharing dinners.
-In preparation for their "home away from home" I made some healing potion jars for them to take with them and store in their dorm refrigerators.  Simply wash and cut up fresh lemons, place in a clean mason jar, cover with raw honey and refrigerate.  Over the course of a month (or more) the lemons dissolve in the honey.  Then, when the have a sore throat, they just take a spoonful of the potion and place in a mug and add boiling water.  They have a soothing tea to remind them of home.
- I took advantage of the beautiful weather and went to the library's garden. It was as pretty as ever.

No comments: