Saturday, December 15, 2012

Project: Gingerbread Eiffel Tower

This year for Christmas, my nephew Theo wanted to make Gingerbread Eiffel Towers.  So, I set about coming up with a plan.  I found a recipe for a stiff gingerbread -- one intended for construction, not taste (although it is completely edible) and decided to make a 3D version. I made two tall cookies and stuck them back to back with some icing.  This gave the appearance of a 3D model, as it could stand on it's own.  (In the photo below, you can see a rubber band around the top part, I had a mishap and needed to "glue" the 2 parts together again and the rubber band was there to brace it while the glue dried.)
 I sketched a photo in Adobe Illustrator and you can click on it to copy it yourself, if you like.
 I printed it out on an 8x11 sheet of paper (Letter Size) and made a template.
 I rolled the dough out and because I thought it was getting too soft, I placed in in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to firm up.
 In the meantime, I traced the original template to a piece of cardboard (the inside of a cereal box) and cut them out to make cutters.
 I added some height to the cardboard templates, but used the paper template to cut out the "window" in the center.

 In order to get my Tower to stand up on it's own, I needed the base part to bow out from the top part... So, I made a cardboard ramp that I covered in tin foil.
While it was baking, I kept the top of the window on the tower lined up with where the ramp met the cookie sheet.  After I baked the towers, I realized that I could have achieved the same results just by cooling the flat baked cookies on the ramp instead of baking them that way.... Ah, lessons learned for next time...
 I brought my undecorated cookies with me to the Pre-Christmas party and showed Theo the results.  He also made some other gingerbread cookies. He was a master decorator!
And here Claudia is schooling Piera on the art of gingerbread decorating... Seems that Claudia liked to taste test the candy while we were decorating and she liked the ring pops best!
Here are some Eiffel Towers decorated with just white Royal Frosting.
And here are a LOT of Eiffel Towers decorated in all colors.
And the Eiffel Tower alongside the castle that Claudia and Theo made earlier!

Serenity you

1 comment:

piera said...

Thank you so much for doing this. IT was such a blast. Great idea. I can't wait to see what you come up with next year.