Sunday, December 02, 2012

Scenes from Thanksgiving

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving this year.  As a Yankee, I always equate Thanksgiving with cold, end of autumn weather, usually damp and gray.  The only natural colors are from the orange and brown squash and red cranberries found on the dinner table.  The autumn foliage is long gone, but occasionally, NH gets a light snow that blankets the otherwise gray ground. It is a reminder that winter is approaching and cold weather will be the norm. This year, we did something a little different.  We put away the mittens and sweaters and went where flip flops were the norm. 
 Instead of orange and rust squashes, we saw those colors in shells.
 There were birds other than turkeys...
 Lots of them...
 And our neighbor, Henry VIII was back.
 I finally, FINALLY, snapped a shot of the elusive yellow headed pelican.  In our area, there are lots of pelicans, white, brown, some mixed and occasionally, I would see one with a yellow head. I don't know if they are rare in our area or if I just don't notice them, but I tried and tried to get a snapshot of one. And when he passed me, I snapped wildly.  I didn't download my pictures until now, but you can imagine the smile on my face when I realized that I captured the beast!  (OK, maybe a bit dramatic, but still it was a feeling of accomplishment!)
Another shot that I have always wanted to capture, but never was able to actually get.  The pelicans "swan dive" into the ocean to catch fish.  They are amazing to watch and I have tried to capture the shot. I have a lot of splashes, have pelicans or just pelican bottoms.  But this one is the moment before he glides into the water.  I love to watch the pelicans, what an amazing and strange bird!
 Oh and speaking of strange birds... and also my favorite birds.  They only wish that they were elusive when I had the camera. Luckily for me, they are very generous with their smiles.
Love Birds on the beach...
And to kick off the Christmas season, holiday lights! 
 Palm trees wrapped in Christmas lights!

No comments: