Friday, February 01, 2013

Recipe: Quick Cinnamon Rolls

There used to be a bakery in our town that served the most delicious cinnamon rolls.  When I asked the baker what made them so unusual, he told me that he used croissant dough to make the rolls!  Light bulbs went off and finally, I placed the tender layers of pastry that was crispy and yet tender and delicious.  Since the bakery closed many years ago and is now a Dunkin Donuts, the only way I can get those yummy cinnamon rolls is to make them myself.
 I am lucky enough to have a family who loves to try my creations and who loves breakfast foods, so I wanted to make a "quick version" of these when my girls were home from college.  To make these, I used prepared croissant dough from Pillsbury, the dreadful kind that comes in the foil can that you peel open.  (Pillsbury also makes cinnamon roll dough, but I prefer to use that baker's secret and use croissant dough instead.  I think these were called Crescent Dough.)
I opened the can and spread out the dough so that it formed a giant rectangle.  The dough is already perforated into triangles, so I did my best to just ignore those shapes.  I spread melted butter on the dough and sprinkled it with brown sugar and cinnamon.  (Feel free to add nutmeg as well as other spices if you like or even chopped dried cranberries or raisins.)
I then rolled up the dough lengthwise, using the wax paper to help me roll it and then I refrigerated it for 20 minutes so the dough would firm up a bit.  I sliced the rolls into 6 even rolls and placed them in a round tin and baked them at 350 for about 15 minutes.
When they were done, I spread them with a simple confectioner's sugar frosting and served.  Everyone liked them!

1 tube Crescent rolls or Croissant rolls
6 T melted butter, divided
2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup +2 T brown sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 - 2 T milk, as needed for frosting

Place 2 T butter into round pan and place in 350 degree oven to melt.
Meanwhile prepare rolls by spreading dough into a rectangle and spreading with 3 T melted butter.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and 1/3 cup brown sugar. Roll dough so that it is long and place in fridge to firm up.
Remove pan from oven when butter is melted and sprinkle with remaining 2 T brown sugar.
Cut dough into equal slices and place on top of brown sugar and melted butter mixture.
Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes until thoroughly cooked.
Remove from oven.
In a bowl, mix powdered sugar and remaining 1 T melted butter.  Add enough milk to make the icing thin enough to spread but thick enough to have body.  Spread over rolls and serve.


No comments: