Monday, April 15, 2013

Challenge Accepted! Cape Neddick Lighthouse, Maine

I've been posting my lighthouse drawings and received a couple of emails with interesting challenges.  My sister challenged me to draw her favorite lighthouse, which she called "Nubble Lighthouse".  I researched it and found that Nubble in is York, Maine - quite close to UNH where 3 of my 5 siblings went to college.  This must be where my sister developed her love of all things Nubble.  As it turns out, the lighthouse is located on Nubble Island and is referred to as Nubble Light, but is named Cape Neddick Light.
 Construction began in 1879 after Congress appropriated $15,000 to build a station at Nubble. The tower is sheathed with cast iron and lined with brick.  It is 44 feet tall with the light being 88 feet above sea level.  (The posts on the walkway railing that surround the light are made of 4 inch replicas of the lighthouse.)  The light was electrified in 1938 and indoor plumbing was installed.  The light still operates today.
Interestingly, the other challenge that I was offered involves spending a week at the Rose Island Lighthouse in Narragansett Bay, RI as a lighthouse keeper.  My brother kayaked there and suggested the challenge.  I think I'll pass on this one!

1 comment:

piera said...

Beautiful! It looks so nice... Outstanding job Daniela..