Lighthouse Series - Burlington Breakwater North, VT
The Burlington Breakwater North is one of two lighthouses placed at the entrances to Burlington on Lake Champlain. They marked the ends of the breakwater in 1857. (A third tower was placed in the center in 1890.) Through the years, the towers were hit with storms, ice, wind and fire. The North Tower burned in 1870 an the South Light was knocked over in a storm.
The wooden towers were replaced with steel towers. The North Tower was replaced in 1925. The light was manually lit until 1938. The lighthouse was rebuilt in 2004 and made to withstand forces around 400 pounds per square inch. The steel frame is covered with wood panels.