The Great Captain Island Lighthouse is located on Great Captain Island in Long Island Sound. The lighthouse is not operational and is owned by the Greenwich Rec Department.
The first Great Captain Lighthouse was built in 1929. By 1838 inspections proved that faulty construction was causing severe deterioration issues. In 1868 a new tower was constructed. In 1970 a freestanding tower replaced the light and a caretaker lived on the grounds until 2003 until it was unsafe. There are no public tours of the lighthouse although many efforts have been made by the town of Greenwich to restore the lighthouse. Currently, funds have been raised but concern for disturbing the wildlife on the island (herons and egrets) has caused issues with the restoration progress.