The Round Island Light in Mississippi was established in 1833. It was closed for a time during the Civil War, but started up again. The light shone until it was decommissioned in the 1940's.
The lighthouse shown before it was destroyed by Hurricane Georges on September 27, 1998. A preservation society immediately formed and formed a restoration. In 2005 Hurricane Katrina destroyed the restored work. The efforts to rebuild at this located stopped and a building began at a new location with as much original material as could be salvaged. The rebuild is expected to be complete by the end of 2013.