The Port Pontchartrain Lighthouse was established in 1832 by a railroad company who set up a private lighthouse that was a lantern hung 50 feet in the air.
The Port Pontchartrain Lighthouse as seen above was constructed in 1855 and made of brick. It was the only lighthouse on the Gulf Coast to be operated during the Civil War. In 1929 the lighthouse was closed and turned over to the New Orleans Levee Board. In 1939 it was used as office space for an amusement park, but the park closed in 1984. It is currently owned by the University of New Orleans where it is slated to be used in the grounds of a hotel.