Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Recipe: Summer Salad

Repost from the summer of 2013
In an effort to eat more main course salads this summer, I made in interesting variation on a few favorites for dinner.  I call it Summer Salad but it's based on so many favorites; Chef's Salad, Greek Salad and Wedge Salad.  I started out the meal, intending to do a Greek Salad, but Ashley reminded me of her dislike of Feta Cheese. No problem, I'll just substitute Goat Cheese.  Bad idea, (the only cheese Ashley dislikes more than Feta is Goat's Cheese) better make it with Cheddar. 
At the grocery store, the lettuce that was offered didn't look too great, so I resorted to buying a head of iceberg lettuce, something I haven't done in a while.  I'm a lettuce snob and prefer leafy greens to iceberg.  (I must mention that iceberg does have a luscious crunch that hits the spot sometimes.) I thought I'd do a Greek Wedge type salad.
When I got home from the grocery store, I realized that I forgot cucumber!  Darn it.... So, I tried to come up with an alternative.... avocado!
Then, Jon mentioned that he wanted meat with dinner... OK.. I had some salami.
So, voila a not quite Greek, not quite Wedge, not quite Chef's Salad.  I made a homemade blue cheese dressing that was delicious - made with pureed cottage cheese.
Summer Salad - makes 4 servings
1 head iceberg lettuce, cut in quarters and then in slices
8-10 pepperoncini
20 - 25 Kalamata olives, pitted
1-2 tomatoes, diced
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
8 slices salami cut in quarters
8 slices deli ham, sliced thinly and chopped
4 small pitas, cut in quarters

Wash and prepare all vegetables.  For each salad, use 1/4 of each ingredient. Layer ingredients on a plate, starting with the lettuce and using the pepperonicini and pitas as garnish.

Dressing:
1 cup cottage cheese 
4 T red wine vinegar
2 T mayonaise
4-6 T milk
4 T chopped blue cheese
1 clove garlic, smashed
salt and pepper

In a blender or food processor, puree cottage cheese and milk until silky and smooth.  Add vinegar and puree again.  Add salt, pepper mayonnaise, garlic and blue cheese, and pulse until smooth.
Let sit in the refrigerator before serving.
Drizzle on salad when ready to serve.

No comments: