Monday, July 08, 2013

Botanical Sketches #5 Persimmon

Here is a sketch that I am most proud of!  I have loved persimmons from the time I was a little girl and my father would slice them in half and give them to us for breakfast to eat with a spoon. I felt like I was getting dessert instead of breakfast and I loved the jelly like filling, the brilliant orange goo that was inside.  Sometimes when it was sliced open it looked like a heart and I felt it was good luck for the day. Isn't it funny how certain things bring us back thirty years, like turning back pages in a book to re-read previous chapters?
So, when I set out to draw the persimmon, I was very nervous, because of how attached I am to them.  But, I think I captured it, right down to the leaves.
Genus -  Diospyroskaki
Previous sketches can be found here.

1 comment:

piera said...

I wish you would of eaten my half when I was little. Dad would put ,y back in the refrideand serve it to me for days until I would eat it. Needless to say, it didn't get eaten.