Thursday, January 09, 2014

Artichoke Soup Recipe

In yesterday's post I gave the link to a recipe for Hog's Breath Inn's Artichoke Soup. I prepared it last night, making my usual modifications and thought it was absolutely delicious. I added more garlic, replaced the sherry with white wine and served it with homemade croutons and a salad.

Artichoke Soup - serves 5 generously

3/4 stick butter, divided
1/2 onion, diced (about 1¼ cups diced)
5 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup white wine
3 14oz cans artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
2 -3 cups chicken broth, (I used 2 1/2)
Salt
1 cup cream

Serve with croutons

Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan over low heat. Add the onions and sauté until they are soft, 8-10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and peppers, and continue to cook until the garlic is aromatic about 2 minutes. Sprinkle the mixture with flour and stir until absorbed. Let cook a 2 more minutes until caramelized, but not burned.

Add the wine and stir until bubbling. Add the artichoke hearts and chicken broth. Season with salt to taste.

Simmer with the pot cover ajar for 30 minutes.


Thoroughly blend the soup using a stand or immersion blender. Return the soup to the pot, add the cream and reheat until heated through. Serve when ready.


1 comment:

yassine mezrigui said...

I want to try this!! I am going to try the original version and also using fresh artichokes hearts that I sautéed, it is just that the later is more work.