Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Recipe: Carrot and Raisin Oatmeal

 My father eats oatmeal everyday for breakfast and while I like oatmeal, I usually have a protein shake for breakfast because I don't want anything heavy (like eggs) or sweet (pastries). I like to eat something soon after I wake up, so the shakes have been working well for me. This weekend, I had a late breakfast and I decided to make a bowl of oatmeal. I originally thought that I'd make something playing off the flavors of carrot cake, using carrots and raisins, but didn't want the sweetness of cake. You can alter this recipe by adding maple syrup, agave or even white sugar, but since I don't like that, I just let the apples and raisins add the flavor.
 Carrot and Raisin Oatmeal
serves 2
1 cup old fashioned oats
2 cups water
1 carrot, peeled and julienned or shredded
1/2 apple, peeled and chopped
small handful of raisins (can use dried cranberries, too)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Place the water in a small pot and add the apple, carrot and raisins. Simmer for 10 minutes.  At the end of the 10 minutes, you might have to add more water, if too much has evaporated.  Add the cinnamon and oats and cook according to the directions on the canister or until the oats are the desired texture. I like my oatmeal thick, so I let it simmer gently for almost 5 minutes.
Seve when ready.

I topped it with a little milk and brown sugar. It would also be good with some dried coconut, nutmeg and/or dried apples!

No comments: