Saturday, May 24, 2014

Recipe: Cajun Spice

Allie's boyfriend is from Louisiana has and since then we've been noticing Louisiana references in our everyday life. Allie spoke about the "Louisiana Spice" and so I was curious. I haven't had a lot of Cajun cuisine so I was curious. We went to a fast food restaurant and they had Cajun Sparkle in a seasoning packet and I gave it a try. It gave a little kick of spice. Then it dawned on me BAM! My grandmother used to watch Emeril's various cooking shows and he made his own spice blend. He'd sprinkle it on almost all his savory foods and yell "Bam!" when he seasoned his dishes. It was entertaining and Gram enjoyed it.
Al tells me that you can purchase Cajun Seasoning in the grocery store, but as you might have guessed, I would like to make my own. It's a combination of paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, cayenne, oregano,
Here are a few recipes to try
Allrecipes, Food Network,  Add a Pinch, and here's Emeril's Recipe
 but I like to season it to my family's tastes, so I usually reduce the amount of salt and substitute dried parsley for the oregano.

Cajun Seasoning can be used in place of salt and pepper. Some use it in sandwiches, mixed with mayonnaise to make a spicy sauce, as a rub for steaks, roasts and chicken or sprinkled on salad.

No comments: