Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Recipe: Apple Pie Nachos

 The other night I wanted a sweet snack. Lately, I haven't wanted anything sweet, like I did when I was younger, like ice cream or cake. I prefer savory now, so it was a bit odd for me to crave something sweet. I made some modified nachos... using tortillas that were baked until crispy, cheddar cheese and some sautéed apples for that sweet punch I craved. They were good. Not sugary, but with a hint of sweetness, some salty flavor and cheddar cheese. A great snack!

2 flour tortillas
1/4 cup cheddar cheese (sliced or grated)
2 apples, peeled and chopped
2 T brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon (or more to taste)
salt
olive oil
1 pat butter

Heat oven to 400. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Slice the flour tortillas into wedges (like a pizza) and place each wedge on the cookie sheet. Drizzle the slightest amount of olive oil on top (or spray if you have a Misto sprayer) and then sprinkle salt on top. Bake for 10 min until crisp... or more if needed. Remove pan from oven and turn chips over. Place back in oven for 3 more minutes to firm up underside.

Meanwhile, in a pan, melt butter and add chopped apples. Sautee' until the apples begin to become fragrant. Add butter and cinnamon, until the apples begin to brown on the edges.
Place by the spoonful onto the chips. Top with cheese and bake until bubbly.
Serve immediately.

No comments: