Saturday, August 23, 2014

Recipe Link: German Chocolate Cookies

This has been the summer of the German Chocolate Cake for us! I made it for a friend and loved the complexity and beauty of the cake. The bittersweet chocolate combined with caramel filling, toasted coconut, toasted pecans, and chocolate frosting was to die for.

And I wasn't the only one who liked it! My father-in-law saw a picture of it and requested it for his birthday. And since everyone in our family seems to like a challenge, my husband (not a coconut lover) suggested making the cake sans coconut.
I didn't know how it would turn out, as the coconut adds a flavor, some texture, and I was pretty sure some binding properties so the filling wouldn't be gloomy. I made the version lacking coconut, modifying the recipe slightly... and it was still delicious. (Personally, I prefer the addition of the coconut, but it was still yummy.)

And then I saw this recipe for cookies, inspired by the traditional ingredients for German Chocolate Cake. I can't wait to try them..Chef in Training shares a recipe for German Chocolate Cookies.

No comments: