Sunday, January 11, 2015

Blessings

We're into the second week of the new year and New England has been hit with bitter cold. I'm grateful we have heat, cars that take us where we need to go and a kitties to snuggle with. This time of year I rely on hot herbal teas, cinnamon and lemon in hot water, and soups of every variety to stay warm.
We had a fantastic dinner with friends that kept us out late and made our stomaches ache from laughter. These are always the best kind of nights. Not only did we get to catch up with friends, but we tasted a new to us eggnog and tried a new pizza place we liked.
We also tried Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale which is ale that has been aged in bourbon barrels for six weeks. I usually like light beers, but this ale was delicious and unusual with subtle bourbon and vanilla, almost caramel flavors, but not sweet. It was heavier than I am used to, but quite delicious. I couldn't finish more than half of it! Best of all, it's served in the 10 oz snifter, just as it pictured below.
We visited with Jon's parents for the first time this year. It was great to see them. It's a gentle reminder of how precious family is to us.
Allie went on a fabulous vacation with her boyfriend and his family. During this time, Ashley was stuck with us, but such a good sport about things. She is such a lovely young woman and I am constantly reminded how much I love her and how fun she can be.
I chatted with a friend who suggested I read the book The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
We were discussing families and how each person feels loved in different ways. She mentioned that people feel connected and appreciated through different ways and it's important to recognize the way your partner, (or family member) feels loved.

No comments: