Monday, January 26, 2015

Chobani Recipe: Winter Parfaits

Yogurt is a fantastic product that makes meal making easy and healthy. It can be eaten right out of the carton, doctored up to make it even more nutritious, or used as an ingredient in a recipe. Yogurt can be  sweet or savory; can be used to tenderize proteins; cool spicy foods; add a (low-fat) creaminess; or add a subtle tang to dishes.
Chobani makes single serving yogurts, in both fruit flavored, plain, Greek, nonfat, 2% and more varieties which makes for a ton of uses in foods. One recipe that I've made thousands of times for my family is a Winter Parfait. It's hardly a "recipe". It's more like a put-together dish that is perfect for wintertime in New England.
I call it the Winter Parfait for three reasons: I tend to serve them with dinner during the cold weather when I make a soup or stew. The cool parfait bursting with fruit complements a hot meal rather well. The parfait is made from ingredients that I have on hand (frozen fruit, yogurt, and some other pantry staples). I could make a light broth based soup for dinner and with the addition of the parfait, I felt we had a complete, healthy meal.
It's simple really. I use 4 layers in my parfaits, but you can omit some if you prefer. The beauty of the parfaits is that you can alter them to suit your families' tastes. We like parfaits with plain yogurt, but your family might like peach or pomegranate yogurt. Just use what you like... 
Layer yogurt, whatever flavor you like or even mix flavors. 
Then add a layer of chopped fruit. I use frozen fruit, but you can use fresh or canned.
If you want it more sweet, then add one of these: cane sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, jam, fruit syrup, agave syrup. (In New Hampshire, we're partial to maple syrup.)
Lastly, I like to add a texture to my parfaits: Add something crunchy like chopped nuts, shredded coconut, granola, roasted pumpkin seeds, crushed graham crackers or pretzels
As a bonus, if you want to add something decadent, try a spoonful of Nutella or peanut butter. 
Building a Winter Parfait
Parfaits can be made ahead of time, covered, and stored in the fridge until ready to serve.

No comments: