Friday, February 27, 2015

Journal52.... An Amazing Art Prompt Site

Journal52 is the inspiring art journal prompt site created by Chelle Stein, a talented and generous artist.
I am so fortunate that she included me as a guest artist for Week 9 in 2015!

Chelle offered me the freedom to create any prompt I wanted, so I chose one of my tried-and-true favorites with a theme of Restraint.
Now, restraint seems like a hinderance, not something inspiring! But, if you consider it for a moment,  it's full of possibilities.
Restraint is focus, discretion, and choice. None of these things would be possible without freedom and so therefore, I see restraint as a sister to freedom.
So, how does restraint play into art?
Well, think of all the possibilities in art... color, texture, medium, size, shape. These can be overwhelming at times. Restraint is setting limits or rules and since you are the artist, you set those rules as you like.  It's restraint to choose a single color and shape... not a punishment, but a focus.
So, I created the lesson for Artistic Restraint. The lesson is up on the Journal52 website as well as Facebook. (It's a free group, anyone can join, so please do!)

When I created the lesson, I was very long winded and edited out a lot to make it concise. Here's a more detailed version of the early stages, but be sure to go to the Journal52 site to see the finishing steps.
 Here's the finished journal page. This background was made from one shape and one color (plus black and white). Even using restraint in limiting colors and a shape, you can get a very detailed result.
Left to Right: condiment bowl, homemade foam stamp, homemade carved block, PVC plumbing pipe, paper towel roll, homemade cardstock template
 There are many ways to go about making the single shape. You can use any household object as a stamp, make your own (using foam sheets, carving blocks) or make a template from cardstock and some paper punches.
There are many sites with easy stamp carving tutorials. I traced the shape I wanted and carved away the inside, leaving a perimeter for the stamp.
The foam stamp required precise cutting with an sharp blade and then adhering it to another piece of foam.
The template was by far the simplest and then you can trace the shapes on the paper.
Once you have selected your shape, now choose a color... This is where restraint should be used.
I took my color, a yellowish- orange and mixed some with a bit of black and some with a LOT of white to get variations in the original color.
Then, the steps as shown above. I stamped the image using my original color paint all over the page. I overlapped quite a bit. Feel free to overlap as little or as much as you like. Let the paint dry.
Then begin filling in the shapes with the different colors you've created. Make more colors, if needed.
Continue to fill in until you are happy with the page. I filled in everything, but you don't have to.
Here is the result of the page using one shape and one color, plus black and white. You can stop here and use this as a base for collage, you can add more layers and more shapes and colors, if you like.




No comments: