Monday, April 06, 2015

Easter Cake

 My brother challenged me to make a Speckled Egg Cake from The Cake Blog for Easter. I baked three white cake layers from The Joy of Cooking in six inch pans. I made a batch of buttercream frosting, dyed it blue and frosted between the layers. I then did a crumb coating, which is simply applying a thin coat of frosting to the cake and refrigerated it. (This layer holds in any crumbs.) Then, I added another generous layer of frosting all around the cake. I smoothed it out, then chilled it again.
After three hours, I placed a piece of wax paper on the cake and gently rolled a rolling pin over the cake to smooth the frosting. Then, I spattered dark brown food coloring on the cake. I covered the counter in wax paper and used a new toothbrush to spray the color on the cake to speckle it. I added the eggs to the top of the cake and put it in the fridge to chill until serving.
I cut slivers of the cake.... It's super sweet. And loved every bite.
There you go, little brother!

No comments: