Friday, December 11, 2015

Project: Painted Wooden Ornaments - Part 2

Inexpensive Painted Ornaments - Part 2

Here's a second version of painted wooden ornaments. 
Part 1 can be found here and Part 3 can be found here. This time I used a flat star shape that is about 1/2 thick. The star is beveled on top and completely flat on the bottom.
I used the same turquoise paint that I mixed to paint the wooden fish.

First I painted the ornaments, front, back and sides, in stages, all turquoise, and let them dry.
 Then I lightly sanded the painted ornaments. I went in one direction only (from 1:00 to 7:00 direction)
 I then took a dry paintbrush dipped in white paint and made some light brush strokes. I let them dry and then flipped them over.
 On the back side, I added more brush strokes, with a pastel green, just to pick up some more highlights.
 On one ornament (on the left). I wiped dark umber paint onto it and then buffed it off to create a dark and aged look. I added tiny screw eyes in the top (to hang) and now they're ready for the tree.

No comments: