Friday, January 29, 2016

Recipe: Brownies from Scratch

When you want a quick chocolate snack, nothing beats a homemade brownie. Brownies are a cross between cake and cookies, usually called a bar cookie and can be chewy or cake-like. I haven't met a brownie I don't like. As a child, my father would sometimes pack a walnut topped frosted brownie in tin foil in my lunch. It was always a delight to see the square package in my lunch bag. That moment started my affinity for brownies, which is odd, since I'm not a fan of chocolate, usually. 
These brownies are easy to create. Melt the butter, dump in the ingredients, barely combine, and bake. I like frosted brownies, but that is purely optional.
Easy Brownies
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cocoa
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment or grease pan.
Melt butter. Stir in remaining ingredients. Do not overmix. Pour into a pan and bake for 20-22 minutes. Batter will start to pull away from the sides of the pan.

Optional Frosting
3 T butter
3 T cocoa
1 T honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 T milk

Combine all ingredients and spread on cooled brownies.
Optional - top with mnms or chocolate chips or chopped chocolate.

No comments: