Monday, February 15, 2016

Tissue Paper Flowers

I am working on a project for a Cinco de Mayo party and I'm making some cupcakes for one of the planning sessions. I want to make some cactus and flower themed cupcakes, but instead of buttercream flowers, I wanted to make them out of tissue paper. (The main decoration for the party is tissue paper centerpieces.)
I made simple flowers attached to toothpicks to stick in the cupcakes.
The flowers are easy enough to make. You just need a few supplies - tissue paper of various colors, a paper punch - (2.5 inches round, scalloped edge). You can use any color tissue paper, but I used 5 colors. I punched five circles and then stacked them up on top of each other. (You can use more than 5 pieces, but I wouldn't go more than 11 per flower).
Take the stack of punched circles and pierce a hole in the center. Insert a toothpick, so that 1/4 inch sticks out.
Then, add a small hot glue dot to the top of the stack, so that the dot is touching the toothpick AND the top paper. 
Place another dot on the bottom of the stack as well. These dots will dry (cool) and prevent the stack of tissue from moving.
Now, after the glue has set, remove any "strings" that happen when using a glue gun.
Then, begin making the flower graceful. Start by gently taking the top layer of tissue and bringing it up to form a "cup". Then, repeat with each layer, until the flower is full.
Repeat with all the toothpicks.
 Here I placed all the finished flowers in a vase and spilled a few more on the table.
I'll use them on cupcakes.




No comments: