Thursday, April 28, 2016

Infused Waters: A Great Way to Stay Hydrated

 My good friend Robyn serves delicious water at her home. She gave me a cup and I sipped what I was expected to be plain old water. Instead was a subtle herb and lemon flavor. It was delicious and I finished the cup immediately. When I told her it was delicious, she told me it was basil, mint and lemon infused water.
The herbs were mild, more of an aftertaste, and the lemon gave a bit of tang. I was hooked. When I went home, I immediately made some infused water with what I had on hand. In my case, it was orange and rosemary. Delicious. Who could have thought that savory herbs would make water so refreshing?
The formula for infused water is simple, just herbs, fruit, or vegetables. Let sit a few hours and drink. I've found that some of the herbs develop of bitter taste if left too long, which I found to be more than 6 hours. Sometimes the combination of citrus with herbs can speed up that battering process.
Infused Waters can be made with any combination of the following:
HERBS- lemongrass, basil, rosemary, parsley, thyme, sage, cilantro, mint
SPICE- ginger, cinnamon stick, peppercorns
FLOWERS- lavender, hibiscus
FRUIT - berries, citrus, apples, pears, pineapple, kiwi, mango, melon
VEGGIES - carrots, celery, jicama, green or red peppers

Robyn had a beautiful glass drink dispenser that she used to serve the water. I used glass water bottles and made 800 ml at a time. This allowed me to drink 3-4 a day. I have never felt so hydrated! I love the flavor of fresh rosemary in water and used it in a few of my bottles.
Wash all herbs and fruit before using. I sliced the fruit to allow the flavors to infuse the water. I've done previous posts on Agua Fresca which uses pureed fruit and sugar, but I prefer the flavor of no added sweeteners.


No comments: