Monday, April 11, 2016

More Shibori - 3 More Techniques

I've been busy studying Shibori, the ancient Japanese art of fabric dying. My original post can be found here.
This was my first attempt at folding the fabric and using a wooden cut-out as a resist tool.
 My second attempt was folding, then rolling the fabric to create this result.
 I tried another one, where I folded the fabric, accordion fold and then pinned the edges with binding clips and clothespins. I think the end result is intriguing. I like the "dotted" look. It reminds me of morse code.
 I tried folding the fabric into a rectangle, then rubber banding tongue depressors across the front and back. It gives an interesting effect. To have a more dramatic effect, I would have to place tongue depressors inside the folds.
I tried a variation on the technique that my friend Bonnie suggested. I wrapped the fabric around a thin PVC pipe and then wrapped twine and rubber bands around the fabric. I scrunched the fabric down and got the resulting image. It kind of looks like an x-ray of someone's back.

From my first round of Shibori practice, I learned a few things:
1. Keep the fabric in the dye for at least 10 minutes to get a deeper color dye.
2. Be sure to have enough resist tools for the layers of fabric.
3. The actual unveiling after the fabric has been dyed is always exciting!

I was happy with the results of Round 1, but I wanted to do some more. So, I did. More posts to follow.

No comments: