Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Shibori - Part 1

Shibori is the ancient Japanese art of resist dyeing. It's similar to tie-dyeing, in the same way that cooking is similar to making a sandwich.
Tie-dyeing tends to be unplanned and free in approach, whereas Shibori can be very calculated and organized. Both use resists to dye fabric and this means using different ways of dyeing fabric, but keeping dyes off areas of fabric (resist).
Shibori, traditionally, is done with an indigo colored ink, but any color can be used.
String is used to tie tight knots in fabric, but it can also be sewn. Fabric can be wrapped, folded, twisted, and wrung to create results.
Found objects can be used, as well. (Kumo Shibori)
Pole Wrapping (Arashi)
Stitching technique to gather fabric (Nui)
Pressing an object between the folds of fabric (Itajime Shibori)

I've starting to learn the art of Shibori. It's a great art where planning, geometry, and luck, come into play. I've simplified the process to three steps: Bind, Dampen, Dye,
Of course, there are many more techniques involved, but this is a start.
The tools are perhaps my favorite part. There are so many options to use.
BINDING:
I find that clamps of all kinds are great "quick binding" tools. Think clothespins, hair clips, pipe clamps, clamps from the hardware aisle.
Rope, paracord, chain, twine, string, ribbon, textured ribbon
Rubberbands, elastics, hair ties

PRESSURE tools: These are tools that when pressed and clamped into position, will create spaces that resist ink.
wooden tongue depressors, shaped disks, buttons, acrylic shapes,
rods for wrapping, wooden spoon handles, hose, thick wire, dowels
pebbles, stones, coins, keys, bottle caps, plastic comb, safety pins
I used 100% cotton fabric, but you can dye accordingly with other fabrics. I chose simple dye (Rit) from the grocery store. I didn't want to use a lot of chemicals. But, you can dye most fabrics, just be sure to purchase the proper dyes for the fabric content.
Stay tuned for Shibori, Part 2, My Attempts at Shibori

2 comments:

Bonnie B. says said...

Wrapping your fabric around PVC pipe (any size) and scrunching it down onto itself is another technique. Bull dog clips are good for clamping. Dying is a lot fun especially if you are on municipal water and sewer and not having to worry about a septic system and wildlife. I used to use Procion dyes with the soda ash and got wonderful colors on the t-shirts I dyed to go with the children's shorts I used to make. I look forward to seeing your projects.

DannyB said...

Great advice! I tried it with a skinny pipe and will show my results. I love the "unveiling"....