After learning the history of Shibori and the procedure, I gathered my supplies and started to experiment.
I washed the cotton fabric and then spread it out on my work table.
I experimented with a few different binding techniques, that used folds, wrapping, and pressing. Then, I dipped the bound fabric in a water bath.
Then, I placed it in the dye solution. I chose a purple dye for my first experiment. I made a large bucket of dye, added the hot water and salt, according to the directions on the dye bottle and then the dye.
I placed my bound fabric pieces in the dye and waited about 2-3 minutes. I was super impatient and learned that the next time, I will let the fabric sit for at least 15 minutes, (or closer to the 90 minutes that the dye instructions suggest.)
Tomorrow, I will start showing the folds and binding patterns I used in Part 3.