Friday, June 24, 2016

Painting of a Pelican on a Post

I've been working on some acrylic backgrounds and wanted to paint a pelican on one. The teal background was calling to me, so I painted on some textures and then got to work on painting the brown pelican. I wanted the bird to be the main focus of the painting, so I kept the background abstract. (I didn't want to add a water scene or landscape.) I like how the texture of the pelican's feathers pop against the background.
It was most interesting to study the pelican's bill, eyes, feet, and feathers. I love how the bill appears to be in 3 parts, the upper beak, lower beak, and throat pouch. They range in size between 10 - 18 inches. This is where they filter water when swallowing a mouthful of ocean. The bill is hooked to allow the pelican to grip slippery fish.
 The Brown Pelican's Eyes are gray to brown and turn blue when the pelican is near breeding age.
The pelican's feet are webbed which allows it to swim and dive efficiently. 
Acrylic Painting of Pelican on a Post 16"x20"
The 16"x20" acrylic painting is for sale $150 plus shipping, payable through paypal. Contact me for information.



No comments: