Saturday, June 11, 2016

The Search for Pho - Another Restaurant Review

I love Vietnamese Pho, the hearty soup of broth with noodles, vegetables, and protein. Part of what makes it my favorite is the side dish that accompanies it that allows you to personalize it. The side dish comes with sprouts, sliced jalapeños, lime wedges, and Thai Basil. I've tried a few Pho places and my friend and I went out to try a new one in Pinellas Park, Florida called Tasty Pho. I'm happy to say it was a success.
  My friend had never had Bubble Tea and ordered one. He absolutely loved it and ordered a second one to go.
 We each ordered an appetizer to share. He ordered the Water Fern Cakes - which were steamed rice cakes that were topped with dried shrimp. It was extremely potent. The rice was gummy and I ate it like jello. I didn't mind the texture of the rice cake, but the shrimp topping was so intense, so dry. It was definitely an acquired taste that I do not have. He loved them and ate 4 out of the 5 dishes.
 I ordered the spring roll which was served with a delicious sauce. The spring roll was so yummy that I didn't use the sauce. Both of us enjoyed the spring rolls and I would get these again.
I know we went to this restaurant for the Pho, but neither of us ordered that. Instead we ordered the Bo Kho - which is a beef and carrot soup that is served with the side plate of sprouts, basil, jalapeños and lime. JACKPOT!
This soup, Bo Kho, was utterly delicious. The beef broth was rich and hearty. I have a new favorite Vietnamese place and new Vietnamese dish.
I can't wait to go back.

No comments: