Monday, July 11, 2016

Watermelon Cookies for the 4th of July

 Watermelon on the 4th of July is one of those things that is traditional. Watermelon all summer is traditional. But, what do you do when someone doesn't like watermelon and you want them to share in the festivities?
Make them watermelon cookies, of course.
They are no substitute for refreshing, chilled watermelon, on a hot day, but, they are cute! And, honestly, they are easy. The most challenging part was the amount of space they took up on the counter while the frosting dried.
Since I used royal frosting on sugar cookies, these can be made ahead of time... even days ahead of time. So, there's no rush to get them done the night before.
I made a ton of half-circle cookies. I just used a 3 inch round biscuit cutter and then sliced each round in half. I baked the cookies and let them cool.
The next day, I started the frosting procedure. I needed 2 colors of green for the rind - a medium green and a light green. I made my first "smile" with the darker green and let it dry.
Then, I came back and made the second smile with lighter green frosting, trying to get it as close to the first as possible. If there was any space, I used a toothpick to encourage the lighter frosting to adhere to the first smile. This sat out to dry.
I mixed a red-pink for the watermelon flesh and filled in the smiles.
I was worried that the frosting would dry and any spaces that I missed would look wonky, so Allie came to my rescue and with a toothpick, filled in any spaces.
I added candy eyes  and lips to the wet frosting and when the frosting set, I made little black seeds with an edible marking pen.
The result is pretty darn adorable, if I do say so myself.

No comments: