Thursday, October 20, 2016

Day of the Dead Mask

Day of the Dead or Dia de Muetros is a Mexican holiday celebrated throughout Mexico and the United States, as well as other countries worldwide. Through the years, it adapted and began to be celebrated October 31, November 1, and November 2 as a gathering for family and friends to celebrate the death of their loved ones and their spiritual journey. The skull is the symbol and is usually depicted in a mask or a sugar skull. They are decorated with flowers and bold colors.
I found a thin balsa wood mask with an outline of a Day of the Dead skull outlined. I painted over it with gesso and then added layers of colors and shapes.
I used their pattern as a source and then added things here and there until l came up with the result I liked. I let the paint layers dry and cure for 48 hours from the last bit of paint added and then sealed it with varnish.
It stands a little over 12 inches tall.
I love the way it came out!




No comments: