Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Red Velvet Cupcakes

My good friend who I play tennis with during the week celebrated her birthday. She loved Red Velvet Cake, so I made some Red Velvet Cupcakes for our birthday lunch. Susan was thrilled.
Of course, I had to really research Red Velvet, as I thought it was just dyed cake.
Turns out, the red color is only part of what makes Red Velvet a thing. There's a small amount of cocoa in the batter, which gives it s subtle flavor. It's made with buttermilk, which interacts with the cocoa (alkaline/base) and then there's the frosting. The original Red Velvet was frosted with Whipped Cream, but it has become popular with a Cream Cheese Frosting. I knew Susan loved the cream cheese frosting, so that's exactly what I made.
The birthday girl holding 2 cupcakes.

No comments: