Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Gluten-Free Birthday Cake

I made this Gluten-Free Birthday Cake for a friend. The challenge with gluten-free is that you can't expect a replacement for gluten, so you have to realize that you will not be getting a similar cake. Gluten is a protein used in bread making, and to a lesser degree, cakes and biscuits. Gluten is the elasticity in breads and what makes it so they hold their shape once baked. While too much of this results in a poor quality cake, it is still important to the texture.
Gluten is also crucial in retaining moisture in the end product.
I used a blend of rice flour and potato starch in place of the flour in my cake recipe. The end result was a fine crumb, but a rather dry cake. I think it can be enhanced with a simple syrup brushed on the cake layers before frosting, but I wanted to do more research to be certain that I wasn't adding gluten with the addition of any spirits.
So, while the cake looked good, I was not happy with the taste or texture.
The birthday girl loved it. 

No comments: